Monday, February 6, 2012

The Big Game... and a little indigestion never hurt anyone

Greetings! It's one of the hardest days of the year in America; the Monday after the Super Bowl. Hangovers are running rampant, indigestion has set in and we all have to go back to work and fight through it. Actually, an interesting fact is that the Monday post Super Bowl holds the title of the day that the most people call in sick to work during the calendar year. Not surprising given my current stomach ache for over indulging in the below mentioned food last night. Well, let's get to it!

I reserve one dish that I make as only being served on Super Bowl Sunday. My wife begs me for it but I rarely will break my rule. It is a wonderful recipe (if I do say so myself). It is the Black and White Truffle Potato Chips. You read correctly. I incorporate black and white truffles into my homemade potato chips and I don't mind saying that they are OUT OF THIS WORLD! It goes great with beer of all types. I enjoyed it with the new Bud Light Platinum (meh...). Here is the recipe:

3-4 medium sized russett potatoes
2 small bottles of peanut oil
1/2 Cup Shaved Parmesean Cheese
White Truffle Oil (for drizzling)
Black Truffle Salt (for sprinkling on the chips... that's right!)



Fill a large part (I use a cast iron one for even cooking) with the peanut oil and heat to a medium high (7-8 on a dial or around 325 degrees). Slice the potatoes on a mandoline or the slice slot of a grater. Soak the potato slices in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes. Lay the potato slices out to dry on paper towls and press down to dry as much as possible prior to dropping into the oil (this will ensure they are crispy). Once dry, drop them into the oil in 2 batches and fry for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towl lined surface (I use a sheet pan). Drizzle the white truffle oil over top of them and sprinking with the black truffle salt. Do the same for batch 2 then top the whole thing off with the shaved parmesean cheese. Enjoy!

NOTE: a little of the truffle oil and salt goes a long way. It doesn't take much.

You can also season these however you like but I challenge you to find a better more flavorful topping than the truffle oil and truffle salt. INCREDIBLE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment