Friday, June 8, 2012

BBQ ASAP? Not Exactly...

I fully intended to post something today discussing why reading food and drink publications was a good way to get out and experiment the great food in your local community.  That was, until I tried to exercise this myself and it didn't exactly work out. 

I am a subscriber to St. Louis Magazine.  This is a wonderful magazine full of great insights into the city of St. Louis (although they should certainly get out to "the burbs" a little more often).  It was their recent issue that sparked my interest in trying a local restaurant that is literally 2 minutes away from my house; BBQ ASAP.  In the article, they describe how the award winning BBQ is exemplified by the burnt ends (rich and tender corner pieces of a brisket that are cooked a 2nd time for full flavor).  I, being the curious foody that I am, wanted to go and try this wonderful sounding dish at a local business and earn my good juju for the day.

It was there that my jubilation ended.  While I would love to tell you how awesome the burnt ends were or how succulent the corn souffle was, I cannot.  No, it isn't because they weren't good.  It's because I never tried them.  I walked into the restaurant at lunch time to find a line.  No problem, I'm pretty patient and understand that lunch time warrants a line.  What I found appalling is the fact that this line (which was 5 people in front of me) lasted for 15 minutes.  OK, I was appalled but I could still deal with it.  The straw that broke the camel's back was me getting to the front of the line only to see the person who was supposed to be taking my order walk off into the kitchen... and didn't come back.  While I'm sure she did eventually come back, I didn't stick around to find out.  I'd been in line at a BBQ joint waiting to order my food for 20 minutes without so much as a smile from a staff member at BBQ ASAP.  I was angry, hungry and I was out of there.

Like I said, I'm a pretty patient person but I have very little tolerance for poor customer service and this situation exemplifies just that.  Now, I will say, the food may be great, and the customer service may be wonderful once they take your order, but I haven't found that out just yet.

So it is with a heavy heart that I am currently giving this restaurant a thumbs down for the time being.  It is with a heavier heart that I cannot post about the importance of using publications to find great food.  Not that I don't still believe that, I just don't feel like it right now and it is my blog and I can pout if I want to.  I will say that I have tried other "award winners" from the BBQ edition of St. Louis Magazine and I can say they were spot on with their descriptions and ratings of those restaurants such as Pappy's Smokehouse (which is LIFE CHANGING BBQ by the way --- I'll cover Pappy's another time though).

I'm sure I will give BBQ ASAP another try.  After all, they were featured in one of my favorite magazines so that has to say something.  And perhaps I should head my own advice when I say that everyone deserves a 2nd chance.  I just hope that I make it to the front counter next time.

Follow us on Twitter @LifeGastronomic or on Facebook.  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment