Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Lunch with Coworkers at PW Pizza in St. Louis


As I mentioned yesterday, me and some fellow isolateers from work met at PW Pizza on Chouteau in downtown St. Louis yesterday for a holiday lunch. My wife had patronized this establishment before and raved about it and the pizza that she got so I felt I was well prepared for what was in store. Even with my wife's stellar report on this joint and the fact that they were voted Best New Restaurant by St. Louis Magazine, I had no idea how good it was actually going to be. This was by far THE BEST pizza I've had in St. Louis... bar none!

We each ordered our drinks (I ordered a water with lemon... I'll have to tell you about my new fascination with this simple concoction at another time but let's just say that there are some good health benefits). The we started with the BLT salad which was a glorious combination of iceburg lettuce (which I am usually not a fan of but it works here), bacon (of course), tomato and blue cheese dressing. That's it! Folks, one of the many things that I have learned over the years is that keeping it simple is often times the best thing to do when it comes to food. PW did it with this salad and it yielded a fantastic salad.

We then moved on to our pizzas. We ordered the old standby of sausage and pepperoni as well as a signature pizza they offered called the Pulled Piggie Pizza. Both were outstanding pies but the stage was stolen by the Pulled Piggie. This little piggie was so good. I am an avid barbeque fan and I was not even close to being let down by this pizza. It had a base sauce of barbeque and was topped with gruyere cheese, slow smoked pulled pork and cole slaw. What a great combination. Each ingredient was evident and no one overpowered any of the others. The crust was also something to behold. Not too thick, not too thin, just right.

Although we were there for lunch, I also noticed that they had a tremendous selection of beers on tap. I am a huge fan of draft beer. I love it. I will actually order something else at a restaurant before I order a bottle of beer in most instances. PW had a colossal selection of micro beers (for beer snobs such as myself). I plan on going back and perhaps eating at the bar so that I can partake of some of these choices.

In short, this little piggie went to PW and had the Pulled Piggie, and smiled wee wee wee all the way home (sorry I couldn't resist). But seriously, looking for a good pie in St. Louis? Go to PW pizza. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment