Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Christmas is Over, and I have Gotten Fat... er.

I have so much to discuss today. I see that my last post was just before the Christmas holiday so please accept my apologies. So much goes on this time of year, it is just hard to find time to get actual work done let alone my new found hobby of blogging.

Over the Christmas "break" we visited my in-laws in Wisconsin. They live in a suburb just west of Milwaukee. Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities in the U.S. for so many reasons not the least of which is their food. From great restaurants and frozen custard joints to my mother-in-law's Martha Stewart-like cooking, there is always a ton of fun to be had in America's dairyland. We started off our trip with a stop by Kopps Frozen Custard

. Let me be careful, because I don't want to oversell this place... BEST FROZEN CUSTARD EVER!!!! They have a great flavor of the day (which was Brandy Eggnog for the holiday) that changes everyday. My favorite by far is Palermo Lemon. They also have a shake of the month (Eggnog in December) and a Sundae of the month (Christmas Celebration Sundae for December). It is the latter that will send your head spinning causing a brain freeze like no other you've had. This sundae is three scoops of Kopp's Vanilla custard each topped with 3 separate sauces. The sauces are what make this sundae great. They start with an Amaretto Cream sauce on scoop 1. Scoop 2 has a caramel rum sauce. Scoop 3 ends with a mint fudge sauce and acts like your Andes Mint at the end of a big meal. But they don't stop there. No, no... they top the whole thing with chocolate shavings and mixed nuts that bring this sundae to an ending of perfection. To say this sundae is fantastic would be an understatement.

Kopp's also offers Jumbo Burgers. Although the frozen custard is clearly the star at this establishment, the burgers are a close 2nd. They are JUMBO indeed and they are made on a flat top griddle and topped any way you like them. It is not my favorite burger in the world, but they are worth checking out with a side of onion rings and a shake of the month. Make sure you share the burger with someone if you do. They aren't lying when they say Jumbo Burgers.

Although Christmas does bring with it an extraordinary amount of culinary delights, we will end the holiday blogs here so as not to confuse anyone into thinking this is a holiday blog as a whole. I am looking forward to 2012 and the continuation and growth of this blog. Please keep checking back for recipes, restaurant reviews and more food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment