Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why Christmas is the 2nd Most Wonderful Time of Year

As I've written about in previous posts, I love Autumn.  I love the leaves changing color.  I love the cooler temperatures.  I love football.  I love fantasy football.  And most importantly, I love beer and bourbon.  This time of year brings with it two releases (one beer and a collection of bourbons) that really embody the feeling of the season.

Tomorrow I shall be purchasing the first of these releases.  Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my favorite beers.  It is an amber beer that doesn't taste too dark or malty.  It is perfectly balanced and tastes very good with the cooler weather.  Yes, I said it tastes good with the weather.  I am a weather based drinker.  When it is warm outside, give me a Leiny's Summer Shandy.  This time of year, I like the Octoberfest brews and specifically, the Same Adams variety.  Most other releases in the beer category this time of year involve infusing pumpkin flavor into beers.  I'll admit, I am not a huge fan of doing that.  I don't believe that pumpkin and beer go together.  Besides, what is the deal with flavoring everything with pumpkin in the fall?  We don't go and flavor everything like hot dogs at the start of the baseball season; do we?  But I digress... If you are a fan of amber style lagers, go out and grab a six pack of the Sam Adams Octoberfest and enjoy.  It is only out for a limited number of weeks per year.

The 2nd release I so look forward to is the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.  This is a collection of 5 different whiskeys/bourbons/ryes that are released by the Buffalo Trace distillery.  Now, I've often said that Buffalo Trace is the best bourbon for your dollar (it is around the $20 mark here in STL), but this collection is not for the tight of wallet.  Each bottle is anywhere from $80-$100 but all seem to increase in value over time (if you are one to collect them and not drink them --- which I am NOT).  The names of the whiskeys have as much thought behind them as the processes put together the make them.  Sazerac Rye, George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Thomas H. Handy Rye and Eagle Rare are the names given to these wonderful bottles of pure joy.  It is a very limited release so you have to be quick and well researched to even be able to snag a bottle.  My local store is doing a lottery system this year and is only letting you have 1 bottle total of any of them.  Since I only can procure one bottle of this great stuff, I am opting for the George T. Stagg.  It has a higher alcohol content than the others so there is a definite higher "burn" on the palate, but the taste is out of this world.  I have had each of these in years past and would recommend any of them however.  But be careful, bourbon tastes different from release to release so there is a chance that some of these won't be as good as in years past.  I've never had a bad one out of any release though so you can buy with some sort of confidence.

Cheers and enjoy!

Follow us on Twitter @LifeGastronomic and like us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment