Saturday, September 8, 2012

What a Day at the St. Louis Art Fair!!! (Yes, they have great food too)

Years ago, my wife and I were eating dinner one night at one of our usual watering holes.  After dinner, I didn't want to go home.  My wife (being the girl about town that she is) remembered that there was an art fair going on in Clayton (a very nice, upscale village type area here in St. Louis).  I thought, "Sure!  I could use a nice relaxed and low key evening..."  When we arrived, I was floored at the thousands in attendance at the St. Louis Art Fair.  Seeing as we just had dinner, we didn't eat all that much (just the Steak Sliders from the Ruth's Chris tent).  I do remember being disappointed as there were so many other great looking culinary delights that we were just too full to dine on.

Due to travel schedules with my job, I haven't been able to go for 3-4 years and I was always disappointed.  This year, however, I was indeed able to attend and that we did indeed!  I'll admit, I am a novice when it comes to art appreciation.  Our formal living room is an homage to island life so I like to look at pictures of beaches and shells but that is pretty much the extent of my artistic taste.  What I was excited for was the food area of the art fair.

The food area displayed some great expressions from local St. Louis area establishments.  We dined on several offerings there including a Philly Cheese steak Egg roll (THAT'S RIGHT! --- Honestly, we had 2 of these), fish tacos from Milagro, a peppered tenderloin sandwich and a fantastic pulled pork tostada courtesy of the students manning Le Food Truck which is an extension of our local culinary school Le Cul Culinaire.  That latter was by far the best thing we had (although a close 2nd was the egg roll). 

The tostada was a great example of a culinary philosophy calls KISS --- Keep It Simple Stupid (okay, not just a culinary philosophy... but applicable).  It started with a scratch made corn tostada then it was topped with lettuce and tomato and a creamy ancho chile sauce.  That's it!  My wife and I LOVED it!

The bottom line is, if you are looking for good food in your area you don't need to just stick to restaurants.  Sometimes you need to eat outside a little to understand where your community is coming from in a culinary perspective.  I know St. Louis has an ever increasing food truck scene.  We even have a monthly event called Food Truck Friday's at Tower Grove Park.  At the end of the day, I just want to make sure we all experience our cities and what they have to offer and sometimes that requires a little out of the box thinking.  After all, we discovered this great culinary event that happens to be an art fair after we had dinner one night a few years ago.

That's it for today!  Follow us on Twitter @LifeGastronomic!

No comments:

Post a Comment