Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fuel for Thought...

So I've taken up this great for you activity lately called running.  I've actually been doing it for about 2 years now and I love it.  I can definitely see why people get addicted to it.  And yes, a runners high is a real thing.  I'm mainly doing it to stay fit (okay, GET fit) but I do enjoy the activity and seeing as my daughter only wants to play inside in the afternoons, it is really one of the few chances I get to see the outside world during the day. 

I have been struggling a bit recently to figure out what one should be eating prior to and after a good run.  I've asked some people and formulated some opinions myself based on some "experiments".  After all, food is fuel; right?  I remember a friend of mine, Andrew, told me once that he always has had the same philosophy when it comes to food: eat to live, not live to eat.  Andrew was a health fanatic so I tended to want to listen to what he had to say on the subject.  It made sense though.  What we put into our bodies fuels us for our activities during the day.  If you put too much of the bad stuff in and not enough of the good, you were going to run out of "gas" early and often.  But, put a lot of the good stuff in that fuels your activities and allows you to maximize that fuel, then it was going to be a good day.

First and foremost: water is good.  Water is great!  Especially if you are a runner, water is your best friend.  I tend to run around 11 AM or so everyday so I make sure I spend my morning hydrating while I am working.  That way, my body has enough hydration to last me during my run.  After all, we do lose a ton of water when we sweat so it is natural to load up a bit more prior.  The same is true for after, you should replace the water you lost during your workout.  Although you shouldn't pound a ton of water afterwards, it is smart to replenish those fluids.  If you can, drink some water DURING your workout too.  It turns out our coaches, parents and teachers were right: staying hydrated is half the battle.

The next point is a little odd given my recent battle in trying to go low carb.  If you are a runner, carbs are one of the two most important solids you should be ingesting (the other is protein --- but everyone knows that is good so we won't spend time on it here).  I was speaking with a customer recently who is an avid runner and he indicated to me that he had 2 Pop Tarts every morning for breakfast.  That was in addition to any bagels/pastries that were laying around the office.  He told me that the carbs were some of the most important thing you could eat in the morning that would fuel his run later in the day.  I must say, while I was taken aback by his comment it made total sense to me.  Our bodies need carbs to operate during the day.  Now, I don't think a Pop Tart is the kind of carb out body is looking for.  But whole grains would be good.  The point here is to try and eat the 1-2 hours prior to your run/workout.  They will help you get through it.

After your workout it is important to replenish.  Again, water is good to have here.  It is also good to have something with potassium like a banana to help replenish your muscles that are tired from the hard work.  In that vein as well is eating some sort of protein.  Protein will allow your muscles to rebuild and be ready for action sooner.  I usually go for a sandwich of some sort using whole wheat bread. 

In the long run, you just have to try and see what works for you best.  When I started working out again 2+ years ago, I tried all different sorts of things to help me get through it.  In the end, I found that water, carbs and protein were key to fueling someone who runs.  What you do will depend on what you are doing for exercise.  Either way, enjoy it and the food you eat.  Like I've always said, life is way too short not to enjoy the things you do and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment