Monday, May 14, 2012

I Love Vacations (Sanibel Island, FL)

It has been a few weeks since my family and I returned from our annual vacation to Sanibel (an island off the coast of Southwest Florida --- right by Ft. Myers).  We tend to go down there once a year or so and stay at a condo called Oceans Reach.  This is a wonderful condo complex right on the ocean.  We do this since we have a little one and it is easy to fix and have lunch right on the patio overlooking the Gulf of Mexico.  There is truly something about looking at the ocean and eating... well... anything.  We had sandwiches most days and I can assure you that everything tastes better with the proper view and setting.  Why do you think so many restaurants these days have outdoor dining options?

That isn't to say that we didn't eat some great establishments in Sanibel.  This little island has some fantastic restaurants that I am proud to say are some of my favorites.  I'll try my best to let you in on where/what we ate but it is a little fuzzy since it has been a few weeks and many drinks since we returned (I know, sorry for not posting lately --- I've been very busy at work and will continue to be until Food Blogger is a payable occupation in this household).

The very first night, we dined at The Timbers.  This is a classic Sanibel eatery that boasts some of the best fried fish you will ever devour.  My wife, daughter and I all had the "Crunchy Grouper" which is fried grouper (a SW Florida local favorite) that is essentially breaded in potato chips (or something like it) and fried to crunchy perfection.  It is one of our "must have's" on the island.  They also have a very good island drink menu and beer list as well.  I had a Yuengling.  If you don't know what Yuengling beer is, I don't want to know you.

Another great restaurant we ate at was Doc Ford's.  This is an awesome place that specializes in upscale bar food.  They have great steaks and chops but I go for one thing and one thing only: SHRIMP AND GRITS!  They have this cajun spiced shrimp served atop jalapeno cheddar grits that is LIFE CHANGING.  It is served with chopped fresh veggies that also add to the flavor of what has got to be one of my favorite meals anywhere.  Like The Timbers, Doc Ford's also has a great drink menu that features drinks like The Bull on the Beach.  This is a "sneaky" drink that you must drink with caution.  It tastes islandy and fruity but has a ton of booze in it.  What?  You want to make one and perhaps find yourself waking up on the steps of your condo/hotel?  Ok.  Here is the recipe:

Bull on the Beach (Doc Ford's, Sanibel Island, FL)
1/4 cup Pineapple Juice
1/4 cup Orange Juice
1 oz Cherry Jack Rum
Splash of Sprite
1 oz Dark Rum
Splach of Grenadine

Combine the pineapple and orange juice and cherry jack rum and pour in a tall glass filled with ice.  Add the splash of sprite and grenadine and float the dark rum on top.  Enjoy!

I reserve the right to further post on Sanibel as it is one of my favorite vacation spots.  That's all I've got for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment