Saturday, May 26, 2012

Our Anniversary at Annie Gunn's

On Monday, my wife and I will celebrate our 7th anniversary.  So far in 7 years we have bought a house, furthered our careers, and had the most wonderful daughter in the world.  It seems that such a fantastic event must be beset by this milestone.  Still, as most will tell you, when you have children, you take what you can get.  I love my wife.  My sun literally rises and sets by her and our family.  I wanted to make sure that she and our daughter realized that any anniversary was important regardless of the constrictions a family beholds.   Consequently we made the family compromise of eating at a fancy restaurant for lunch for our family anniversary this weekend.

So what St. Louis restaurant did this local food blogger choose to brhold such a strong event?  Why Annie Gunn's of course.  For those of you who have not had the opportunity to dine at, in my opinion, the BEST restaurant in all of St. Louis (if not Missouri... if not the Midwest...)  you are truly missing out.  My wife and I have dined here on many occasions and they never seem to disappoint.

On our first anniversary, I was able to partake of my fist bone-in fillet.  To say it was succulent would be an understatement.  If was served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and house veggies.  We ordered a bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay to accompany and none of which disappointed.

On this day though, we split our dishes for lunch (as I advise so many to do for their meals --- partly for health but mostly to be able to partake in one of the world's highest of delicacies --- variety!).  My beautiful bride ordered the sliced beef tenderloin sandwich special served with the house made hand cut french fries.  I ordered the LIFE CHANGING Classic Cheeseburger (voted best in St. Louis by St. Louis Magazine here).  I have ordered the beef tenderloin sandwich before and can assure you it is of the best dishes to order anywhere in St. Louis.  However the burger I ordered (for the 2nd time) was still, in my opinion, LIFE CHANGING.

It started with only the best in Missouri grain fed beef, cooked medium and topped with cheddar cheese, pork belly, onions, pickles, lettuce and tomato on a FANTASTIC bun served with hand cut house fries.  It literally MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH and is ONE OF THE BEST BURGERS that have ever set foot on these lips.  I do NOT mix words about burgers... this is one of the BEST I'VE EVER HAD.

This burger only takes a side saddle to one other thing I've had at Annie Gunn's.  I hope that the chefs there soon can recreate it.  The dish I am referring to is the Grilled Angus Rib eye with Chipotle Pan Gravy.  This dish was served to me on my 3rd anniversary (the 1st with my daughter) and ranks amongst the BEST MEALS I'VE EVER EATEN!!!!

In short, hat's off to Annie Gunn's for their fantastic food, local ingredients, wonderful atmosphere and their just enough experimental chef.  You are a scholar and I look forward to meeting you and shaking your hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment