Friday, September 7, 2012

1111 Mississippi... More than just an Address

Yes, I am posting twice today.  My wife indicated to me yesterday that I haven't updated in a while so I decided that I would add a bonus review today of one of my favorite places to take my wife to lunch.  Consequently, I took her out to said restaurant on her birthday.  She deserves a lunch out on the town everyday just for putting up with me, but especially on her birthday.  Not just any restaurant would do for such an occasion.  So, of course, I took her to 1111 Mississippi (Eleven Eleven Mississippi).

For starters, the atmosphere at this place is just incredible.  When you walk in through the downtown loft style entrance, you are greeted with a simple hostess stand set with a backdrop of happy diners and an upstairs open air kitchen that overlooks the dining area.  I do feel for the wait staff her as they do have to traverse many stairs in a given shift, but if they get to eat for free, it is SO worth it.

The menu is really an homage to Americana.  It is upscale in nature but very approachable (especially for lunch).  While I have had many great items on the menu, including the Lobster BLT and their fish specialties, it is their Trio that really lights up their lunch menu for me.

The Trio is a "you pick" dining option that allows you to choose 1 each from the salad, soup and flat bread menus (small versions of each are provided).  Not only is it the perfect amount of food for lunch, it provides variety and the food is fantastic.

For my Trio, I always get the side salad, Shrimp and Corn Chowder and a variable flat bread.  The Shrimp and Corn Chowder is by far one of the best soups you can get in the entire city of St. Louis.  It is a creamy/brothy soup that includes sausage, shrimp and corn and it is perfectly sweet and savory.  By far, the best thing on the menu at 1111 in my opinion.  The salad is quite good too.  What makes it is the Strawberry-Champagne Vinaigrette.  I've tried to make this at home and have not even come close.  I would drink this salad dressing as a martini if given the chance.  It is wonderful.  Great also are the flat breads.  Recently, I had the Wild Mushroom Gouda flat bread.  It had a sweetness to it (like most mushroom raviolis do) but was countered nicely by the Gouda.  I left with a smile on my face and a full stomach indeed.

The most important smile was that of my wife.  After all, it was her birthday.  1111 is one of her favorite lunch spots as well (obviously given the occasion) and she shares my firm belief in the superiority of their Shrimp and Corn Chowder.

If given the opportunity to dine at 1111 Mississippi, do so and be glad.  You will be in for a large treat!

No more posts today, I promise.  Follow us on Twitter @LifeGastronomic and on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment