Thursday, January 5, 2012

Waste Not, Want Not

Yesterday I continued the Asian theme at dinner by making beef with broccoli stir fry. No, I am not obsessed with broccoli and I do realize that there are other lower carb vegetables other than broccoli but I am a fan of using all of the food you buy at the store. I do not like to throw away food if I can avoid it. To me, that is wasteful and there is always something that you can make with the ingredients in your kitchen. Iron Chef and Iron Chef America on the Food Network have taught us nothing if not that. So with that in mind, I knew I had found a great deal on some sirloin steak that would go well with the broccoli given the right seasonings so I went to work. The result was a restaurant quality meal that my wife and I (not so much my daughter) liked very much. My wife also liked the Pagoda Frozen Egg Rolls that I had purchased at the store (don't worry, I didn't eat them since I am trying to stick to the lower carb things right now). Here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try:

Beef with Broccoli
1 lb sirloin steak (pounded to 1/4" thickness)
1 head of broccoli cut into florets
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil

For the Marinade
1/3 cup of soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Honey
1 tsp Brown Sugar
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of balsamic vinegar

First make the marinade by combining all the marinade ingredients and whisking until the sugar dissolves. Cut the steak into strips and place in a sealable bag. Marinate for at least 2 hours. When ready, heat 1 Tbsp of the sesame oil in a wok on high heat. Brown the meat and reserve to a plate when cooked to medium (slightly still pink). While the meat is resting, wipe out the wok and steam the broccoli by placing 1 cup of water and the broccoli in the wok. When fork tender, drain in a colander. Heat the other Tbsp of sesame oil in the work and return the meat and broccoli to it. Pour in the rest of the soy sauce and toss to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes and serve. I served with steamed brown rice (although again, I'm lowering my carbs so my wife and daughter ate the rice).

No comments:

Post a Comment