Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stupid Carbs!!!

So I think it is safe to say that I've fallen off of the wagon a few times with this low carb/sugar thing. I have stuck to it for the most part in my travels which is surprising but good. My road block I have run into is at home believe it or not. My mother-in-law is spending some time with us this week since my travels are taking me away quite a bit (5 cities in 2 weeks) and to say that she makes some good meals would be an understatement. I stated when I started to lower my carbs that I would not let it affect my family's diet negatively. I said I would just eat around the carbs that I make for them. Well, it is very difficult when someone else makes the food and makes it look so darn good! Last night, we had apple cider braised pork roast (carb approved) with arugula salad (also carb approved) and... loaded mashed potatoes (not so much). I ate more than I should have, I admit. Oh well, no body is perfect.

Today, I'm jumping back on the wagon. To start, I had my own recipe of low carb smoothie which is my new favorite thing. Here is the recipe:

Low Carb PB&J Smoothie
1/2 cup Carb and Sugar Smart Yogurt (by Yoplait) or any other low carb/sugar yogurt in vanilla and strawberry flavors (use 1 of each)

1 heaping tbsp of full fat peanut butter (the low fat stuff has a ton of carbs/added sugar)

1 tsp of honey or agave nectar

1 tbsp skim milk

2-3 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth and enjoy.

Okay, now for a "real" recipe for "real" food. After all, this is a Food Blog. I don't want to load it up with a bunch of healthy stuff. In the spirit of last nights potato side dish, here is a link to one of my favorite potato side dishes. Tyler Florence's Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes Gratin. It is wonderful and easy to make. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment